Saturday, June 02, 2007

Savanna Georgia

We have 3 nights in Savanna, the first day after we got set up we went into town and walked the River Road area and had dinner there the next day we took a Trolley Tour and saw lots of "historic homes" and "squares". The river area is very nice with lots of stores and restaurants which are in the buildings that use to hold the slaves as they came off the slave boats. Not much is mentioned about the Slave Days, I get the feeling the Americans are ashamed of those days and try not to bring it up much. I found one statue which I found interesting and I will put the photos of it on here. I would of liked to take the tour of the Black History Museum but I felt Ernest would only go just for me and he would not be that interested. Anyway here are a few photos for now and maybe I will do a slide show of more photos when I am working from the comfort of our motor home.


The words of Maya Angelou are: "WE WERE STOLEN. SOLD AND BOUGHT, TOGETHER FROM THE AFRICAN CONTINENT. WE GOT ON THE SLAVE SHIPS TOGETHER. WE LAY BACK TO BELLY IN THE HOLDS OF THE SLAVE SHIPS IN EACH OTHERS EXCREMENT AND URINE TOGETHER. SOMETIMES DIED TOGETHER AND OUR LIFELESS BODIES THROWN OVERBOARD TOGETHER. TODAY WE ARE STANDING UP TOGETHER WITH FAITH AND EVEN SOME JOY."


No comments: